This blog is devoted to the expression of my opinions on a variety of subjects, often political.

Monday, October 8, 2012

William F. Torpey Profile

The Golden Years

I was born in 1935 in Yonkers, New York, so my favorite vocalists, of course, reflect that era. But, on top of that, my father, Joe Torpey, played piano all his life. As a boy my father's friends often visited our home where the air was always filled with music. Family and friends sang "That Old Gang of Mine" and all the old favorites of the 1920s, '30s and '40s while my father's fingers slide up and down the piano keyboard. He was very talented. It was the Golden Age of Hollywood -- and of radio.
My favorite singers, and many of my favorite songs, grew from this musical background, although I, personally, never became a musician. Throughout my life, however, anyone within earshot could hear me singing my favorite tunes day and night -- most frequently the songs of my all-time favorite singer, Bing Crosby, who was also the favorite of millions. But here you will find a number of my other favorites.
It is my hope that those who are unfamiliar with these singers will take a few moments to "give a listen." I think you'll find these singers worth listening to -- again and again!
Your Grampas Favorite Songs, Singers

No comments:

Post a Comment